We only use the best whole food real ingredients we can find in our real food treats. Our cookies are gestures of love you share with your dog, so we make sure they are healthy!
Dr. Richard Pitcairn believes that oats are a good choice of grain for your pet which is also tolerated by the most number of dogs and due to it's acidity and the least likely to cause an allergic reaction.
Did you know oats have more protein per calorie than any other grain? And that they contain healthy amounts of: Fibre, Selenium, B vitamins, Iron, Phosphorous, Manganese and Calcium. They benefit several body organs and systems including the skin, nervous system, stomach, spleen, lungs, and urinary.
Here are some additional benefits of oats:
- Oats act as a digestive aid to calm the intestinal tract.
- Oats have a calming effect on the nervous system and are a good addition to the diet of anxious dogs.
- Oats are a more warming grain that helps strengthen the spleen, pancreas and immune systems as well as the heart.
- Oats contains the anti-tumour compound b-sitosterol.
- Oats are rich in silicon, and help to make bones strong.
Dr. Pitcairn Bio: In 1982, Dr. Pitcairn and his wife Susan published “Dr Pitcairn’s Complete Guide To Natural Health For Dogs and Cats”, now in its third edition with 400,000 copies sold. From 1978 Dr Pitcairn focused on learning and using homeopathic medicine for animals, along with his prior knowledge of nutritional therapy. After he moved to Eugene, Oregon in 1985, he began offering homeopathy workshops to the public, and In 1992, he established the Professional Course in Veterinary Homeopathy. By 2013, 500 veterinarians had participated in this program. In 1995, Dr. Pitcairn co-founded the Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy.
North Hound Life only uses 100% Canadian oat flour from Saskatchewan in our real food cookies.